Mapping Meaning 2016: Details
PLEASE NOTE: Given Island Packers boat schedule, those of you traveling a great distance will likely need to arrive a day early and also stay an extra day. I’m aware some of you may want to share hotel accommodations (or Airbnb) in order to help reduce these costs and so I've created a discussion forum to help facilitate this process. Please also use this as a space to share any research, images, and readings with the group prior to our arrival.
About Santa Cruz Island Field Station:
Santa Cruz Island is the largest and most diverse of the eight Channel Islands. Close to the densely populated region of Southern California and yet one of the least visited of all national parks in the United States, the Channel Islands bridge two biogeographical provinces and are home to 145 endemic species.
Accommodations will consist of bunkbeds / shared rooms. Hot and cold running water, showers, toilets, and limited laundry facilities are available at the Field Station. Weather: average mean temperature in July ranges from 62-70 degrees. More about the weather
- There are no medical facilities on the island. For further details regarding emergency contact information, please visit: http://santacruz.nrs.ucsb.edu/emergency-medical-information
- Verizon cellular telephone service is available on some areas of the island. Other telephone service is available for emergencies.
- Do not bring electric appliances, especially hair dryers, to the island
- The field station does have wifi, although weather sometimes makes service intermittent
- Firearms, Bicycles, Pets, Cardboard boxes and Surfboards are not permitted at the island.
- Due to fire danger, no smoking or building of fires of any type is allowed at the SCI Preserve for any reason.
- A library/conference room, computers (PC and Mac), and a wet laboratory are available for use
- For further details on the facilities please visit the following website: http://santacruz.nrs.ucsb.edu
WHAT TO BRING:
- Sleeping bag and pillow
- Towel and washcloth
- Water bottle
- Hiking/walking shoes
- Teva / sandals
- Lightweight raincoat / poncho
- Layers of clothing
- Yoga mat (optional)
- Bug repellant
- Sunscreen, sunglasses, and hat
- Binoculars (optional)
- Toiletries, medicines, etc.
- Laptop, notebooks, pen, etc
- Specialty snacks you require
- Specialty beverages you may like such as wine or beer (optional)
- Please note: Island Packers has weight gear restrictions due difficulty of transferring items ashore and the limited storage space on board. NO SINGLE ITEM OVER 45 LBS is allowed on the boat. Each person is allowed 70 lbs total. Gear weight overage will incur additional charges. All gear should be marked with your name and phone number.
All meals during the workshop will be vegetarian. Please let us know if you have any other dietary restrictions and we will do our best to accommodate.
- Santa Barbara
- Los Angeles
Transportation Options From LAX to the Santa Barbara Area
- Amtrak: https://www.amtrak.com/pacific-surfliner-train
- Santa Barbara Airbus: https://www.sbairbus.com
Please plan to arrive at Island Packers / Ventura Harbor no later than 8am on Sunday, July 24th.
1691 Spinnaker Drive #105B, Ventura, Ca 93001
PLEASE NOTE: For those with a car, Island Packers does have limited parking available
Mapping Meaning ends on July 29th. We should arrive back at Ventura Harbor around 6pm.
Please fill out the following forms and e-mail to email@example.com no later than July 1st.